Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Hunting Morels

On April 28th I went to my Mom and Gary's house so we could go hunting for morels in the woods behind their house. We walked off into the woods and started looking. The first thing I found was a turtle shell. It was empty so I picked it up and put it into my bag. A few minutes after that Mom found a morel so the hunt was really on because we knew they were out there. We kept looking and finding a few here and there. Mom
found a deer antler then Gary came around with a live box turtle. It was the cutest turtle I have ever seen! After we looked at it for a little while we put it back on the ground so it could go back to doing whatever it is turtles do.

When we got to Gary's deer stand we went up and sat in it for awhile so he could show me what it was like up there. It was pretty windy, I can't imagine being up there during deer season in the winter. I wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Their woods has a lot of different areas with different types of plants in each area so it was interesting for me to see all of the various plants. At one point I bent down to take a picture of some logs with a bunch of moss on them and when I looked to my right I saw about 5 morels just sitting right there. We ended up finding a total of 38 morels. Not bad for the beginning of the season. I don't even like eating morels, I really just like walking around in the woods and hunting them gives me a reason to be out there. When we came inside we had spaghetti for dinner then my brother and his girlfriend came over to hang out for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment