Wednesday, May 11, 2011

House Sitting

Way back on April 22 Greg and I went up to Northern Ohio to house sit for his parents while they were out of town. They have a beautiful house with a pond in the country.

I am not a morning person and I have a lot of trouble getting out of bed. While we were there I would eagerly get up every morning put on a pot of coffee then go out to check on the animals. First I would feed Roxy the dog. Then I would go to the barn and feed the cat. The ducks were usually waiting on me to feed them next. Then I would check on the chickens and let them out for the day. They averaged 5 eggs a
day. They have 9 hens and 1 rooster. After everyone was fed I would go in and have my coffee and look at the internet.

Later in the day I would check on the plants in the greenhouse and walk or drive over to feed Greg's brother's dog and look at the koi pond, depending on the weather. It rained a lot while we were there but I had so much fun taking care of the animals that it didn't bother me like it would have at home.

In the evenings I would go out and close the chicken house then Greg and I would watch bad TV. We do not have cable so shows like Swamp People and Ax Men were interesting and very alien to us. I am glad we do not have cable, I think I would watch way too much of it.

One day while I was watering the plants in the greenhouse I heard a strange noise in the pipe above the wood stove. When I looked
in the wood stove (it was not being used) there was a black bird inside! I thought I could just open the door and grab the bird but it snuck out so I had to chase it around the greenhouse for a little bit but finally caught it and let it go outside after a little photo shoot.

One evening we drove to a nearby town called Glandorf and Greg took me down what they call "13 Curves" though we were really pressed to actually count 13 curves on the road. We also drove by a weird cemetery where they had taken all of the tombstones off of the graves and created one big shrine out of them. The whole reason for this trip was to pick up our Bombshelter Pizza. Greg had been telling me about this pizza for years so I finally got to try it. I would call the thickness hand tossed and it had a really thick layer of cheese on it with real sausage and pepperoni. It was delicious and lived up to everything he told me about it.

I had a lot of fun pretending to be a farmer but we had things to tend to at our house so we said good bye to the animals and came back home after 5 days in the country.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make this page look the way I want it to so please excuse any strange spacing.



No comments:

Post a Comment